At Harper Creek High School we believe that sportsmanship is very important – not only for our athletes, but for our fans as well. As you watch a sporting event, please observe the following guidelines as set forth by the Michigan High School Athletic Association:
- Applause during the introduction of players, coaches and officials.
- Acceptance of the decisions of officials.
- Cheerleaders leading fans in positive cheers in a positive manner.
- Treating competition as a game, not as a war.
- Applause at end of contest for performances of all participants.
- Showing concern for an injured player, regardless of team affiliation.
- Encouragement of other spectators to display only sportsmanlike conduct.
- Taunting, trash talk, and other intimidating actions.
- Acceptance of poor sportsmanship on the part of nearby spectators.
- Disrespectful or derogatory cheers, chants, songs, or gestures.
- Booing or heckling an official’s decision.
- Verbal criticism of officials and/or displays of temper toward an official.
- Cheers meant to antagonize opponents.
- Blaming loss of game on officials, coaches, or participants.
- Use of profanity or displays of anger that draw attention away from the game.
- The wearing of clothing or face/body painting meant to mock or ridicule an opponent.
- The intrusion of spectators on the playing surface.